Jorge Gallardo Ballart’s Biography
Jorge Gallardo Ballart was born in Barcelona on September 26, 1941. In 1965 he joined Almirall after his studies in Industrial Engineering, PhD in 1972. After the passing of his father in 1988, he and his brother, Antonio, took the reins of the business, fostering the modernization and internationalization of the Company.
In 1992, Jorge and Antonio started the development of the Family Governance structure, which achieved the transition to the Third Generation in 2022.
Jorge held different executive positions at Almirall. He was CEO from 1997 to 2001, President and CEO from 2001 to 2011. From 2011 to 2022 he was Almirall’s Executive President. Currently, he is Co-President of the Gallardo Family Group and President of Corporación Zamap.
Significant milestones during his career:
- Industrial plant in Sant Andreu de la Barca (1972).
- Creation of the new R&D Center (1995).
- Internationalization of Almirall starting in 2001, presence in Europe and the United States (2001).
- IPO in 2007.
- New strategy in Dermatology since 2014.
Other relevant positions:
- Member of Biopharmaceutical CEOs Roundtable (BCR), from 1995 to 2022.
- President of FPIA (European Federation of Pharmaceutical lndustries and Associations) between 1998 and 2001. Also, Vicepresident and Member of the Board (1996-1998 and 2000-2002).
- Member of the Board of IFPMA (lnternational Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations) between 2005 y 2022.
- Member of “Real Academia de Farmacia de Cataluña” since 1992.
- Member of “Real Academia Nacional de Farmacia” since 2013.
Jorge Gallardo has received the following recognitions:
- In 2011 he received the Medalla al Treball President Macià, awarded by the “Generalitat de Cataluña”.
- In 2015 he received the award Trayectoria Profesional granted by the “Colegio de Ingenieros Industriales de Cataluña”.